RPEC Weekly Newsflash, March 17, 2023
Editor’s Note: Aside from news we are sharing with you, we have several opportunities below to make your voice heard, and we NEED to hear from you. We are holding listening sessions where you can offer insight, thoughts and opinions, and even creative criticism. We need your involvement as a valued RPEC member at our Strategic Listening Session, which will help shape RPEC’s operations for the near future. We also need you to assist us in the redesign of RPEC’s website at our Website Listening Session in order to provide you with a website that is useful and informative. Your feedback is critical to the success of RPEC’s mission. Please read more below…
Ways & Means Committee Passes COLA Bill
On the afternoon of Monday, March 13, the Washington State Senate Ways & Means Committee passed Engrossed Substitute House Bill (ESHB) 1057 with an amendment. The bill provides a one-time 3% cost of living adjustment (COLA) to PERS 1 and TRS 1 retirees in July 2023, not to exceed $110 per month. Additionally, the bill directs the Select Committee on Pension Policy to study and recommend to the legislature an ongoing COLA proposal for PERS 1 and TRS 1 retirees.
Register today to attend the All-member Strategic Planning Listening Session
As part of the strategic planning process, AFSCME Retiree Council will be facilitating a virtual listening session for all members-at-large and RPEC leaders on Friday, April 14, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. This virtual listening session is another way you can provide input to the Executive Board to help inform the development of RPEC’s strategic plan.
If you are new to RPEC or a Plan 2/3 member, we especially want to hear from you. Register through this link: https://rpecwa.org/strategic-planning-listening-session-registration/
Meeting link information will be sent to all registered attendees prior to the listening session.
Register today for Health Care Authority’s Virtual and In-person Listening Sessions and Public Forums
The Health Care Authority (HCA) will be hosting virtual and in-person listening sessions and virtual public forums to hear from public sector retirees who receive their healthcare benefits from the Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB). Register at: https://www.hca.wa.gov/about-hca/news/announcements/register-pebb-medicare-listening-sessions. Registration is available on the HCA website and on the agency’s retiree webpage. Registration is required and space is limited. Sign up today!
The stakeholder engagements are being held to glean insights to improve HCA service to retirees and to help inform future healthcare plan decisions and features.
2023 Leadership Training for Chapter Leaders Set for June
With most chapter elections underway, it is time for new leaders, old leaders and those who may be considering taking a leadership position in the future, to come together and participate in our annual Leadership Training. We will be providing the tools, information, and resources for you to be a successful and supported chapter leader.
The training will be held in two parts: Part A on Monday, June 26 for all chapter leaders, and Part B on Friday, June 30 for chapter leaders involved with finances. Part A will be hosted and led by the Council Office. Part B will be hosted and led by the Auditing Department at AFSCME.
For more information and to register, please visit: https://rpecwa.org/2023-leadership-training/
RPEC Website Listening Session Invitation
The Council Office is undertaking the task of a major rebuild of RPEC’s website. We plan on hosting listening sessions involving leaders and members to gain input as to items of value, areas of improvement, and added features. You are being invited to attend these listening sessions, the first being Monday, March 20 at 10:00 am. There will be another session in early June and another towards the new year while we work on the rebuild.
Below is the Zoom link for next Monday’s meeting; please share as you wish. We look forward to your involvement in this process. You are also welcome to invite any members of your chapters that you feel may have valued input to this process.
The March 20 meeting will be to discuss the current website only, its content, and navigation. At our June meeting, we will listen to ideas and concerns about additional features and content.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 858 7318 2915
All-member written survey – Please complete the survey and mail it back!
This month, all RPEC members will receive a written survey (with a postage-paid return envelope) via U.S. mail. The survey is one element of a multi-faceted data collection process that the Executive Board has launched to lay the foundation for the development of a new strategic plan for RPEC. Gleaning your insights and understanding the priorities and needs of our members is the first step in the strategic planning process. Please take the time to complete the survey when it arrives at your home this month and mail it back right away so that your input can be used to help shape the Board’s priorities.
Please refer to our calendar page for more information about each event, including links to Zoom meetings, if available.
- March 17 – Legislative Committee meeting (10:00 am)
- March 17 – Monthly Leadership Call (1:00 pm)
- March 17 – Legislative Update Call (2:00 pm)
- March 20 – Senior Lobby (10:00 am)
- March 20 – RPEC Website Listening Session (10:00 am)
- March 20 – PSARA Medicare Webinar – see above (5:00 pm)
- March 23 – Healthcare Workgroup (3:30 pm)
- March 23 – WSARA Social Security/Medicare Rally, Spokane (12:00 pm)
- March 24 – Legislative Update Call (2:00 pm)
- March 31 – Legislative Update Call (2:00 pm)
- April 7 – Legislative Update Call (2:00 pm)
- April 13 – Healthcare Workgroup (3:30 pm)
- April 14 – Strategic Plan Listening Session (10:00 am)
- April 14 – Legislative Update Call (2:00 pm)
- April 17 – Senior Lobby (10:00 am)
- April 21 – Legislative Update Call (2:00 pm)
Health Care Authority Listening Sessions & Public Forums
- March 21 – HCA Virtual Listening Session (10:00 am)
- March 22 – HCA Virtual Public Forum (10:00 am)
- March 23 – HCA Virtual Listening Session (10:00 am)
- March 28 – HCA Virtual Listening Session (10:00 am)
- March 29 – HCA In-person Listening Session, Tumwater (10:00 am)
- March 30 – HCA Virtual Listening Session (10:00 am)
- April 6 – HCA Virtual Listening Session (10:00 am)
- April 11 – HCA In-person Listening Session, Cheney (10:00 am)
- April 12 – HCA In-person Listening Session, Yakima (10:00 am)
- April 18 – HCA Virtual Listening Session (10:00 am)
- April 20 – HCA Virtual Listening Session (10:00 am)
- April 25 – HCA Virtual Listening Session (10:00 am)
- April 26 – HCA Virtual Public Forum (10:00 am)
- April 27 – HCA Virtual Listening Session (10:00 am)