RPEC Weekly Newsflash, May 19, 2023
Public Service Recognition Week
On May 10th, 2023, a celebration was hosted for Public Service Recognition Week (PSRW) in honor of all Washington State public sector employees and retirees. In the shadow of the Capitol building, droves of people filled the East Plaza lawn, visiting the more than 30 booths that lined the walkway. Many retired and nearly retired public sector employees were drawn to the RPEC booth, generating extensive conversation about the benefits of being an RPEC member. With Olympia being the cornerstone for State agencies, there are many people in the area that are eligible or will be eligible to become a member of RPEC. RPEC is frequently seeking opportunities to create visibility for the organization by tabling and talking with community members. We recognize and appreciate the commitment from every RPEC member and other public sector employees!
2023 Leadership Training for All Chapter Leaders
With most chapter elections wrapping up, it is time for new leaders, re-elected leaders, and those who may be considering taking a leadership position in the future to come together and participate in our annual Leadership Training. We will be providing tools, information, and resources for you to be a successful and supported chapter leader.
The training will be held in two parts: Part A on Monday, June 26th for all chapter leaders, and Part B on Friday, June 30th for all chapter leaders involved with chapter finances. Part A will be hosted and led by the Council Office. Part B will be hosted and led by the Auditing Department at AFSCME.
For more information and to register, please visit: https://rpecwa.org/2023-leadership-training/. Registration closes Monday, June 5th.
Health Care Authority’s (HCA) Virtual and In-person Listening Sessions and Virtual Public Forums Wrap Up This Month
All RPEC leaders and members who receive their healthcare benefits from the Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB) are asked to register to take part in virtual and in-person listening sessions hosted by HCA. All stakeholder engagements will conclude this month. There is still space available in all sessions. Register here.
Retirees and their spouses or partners who are covered under UMP Classic, Kaiser Permanente NW Senior Advantage, Kaiser Permanente WA Medicare plans, Premera Blue Cross Medicare Supplement Plan G, UnitedHealthcare PEBB Balance, or United Healthcare PEBB Complete are eligible to participate. The listening sessions and public forums are your opportunities to share insights with HCA staff about your healthcare plan and the quality of services you receive from HCA. All virtual and in-person listening sessions will be held from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. HCA will follow up with registrants via email and provide the questions, background information, and Zoom login information (for the virtual sessions) or the location/directions (for in-person sessions).
Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB) Meetings
To learn more about the state’s healthcare plans, consider attending the June and July meetings of the Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB). Meetings are held the second Thursday of the month. Visit https://www.hca.wa.gov/about-hca/programs-and-initiatives/public-employees-benefits-board-pebb-program/meetings-and-materials for more information.
Upcoming meetings are as follows:
- June 8, 2023 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- June 29, 2023 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- July 12, 2023 9 a.m. to noon
- July 19, 2023 9 a.m. to noon
- July 26, 2023 9 a.m. to noon
Please refer to our calendar page for more information about each event, including links to Zoom meetings, if available.
- May 19 – Monthly Leadership Call (1:00 pm)
- May 23 – Executive Board Meeting (10:00 am)
- May 25 – Healthcare Workgroup Meeting (3:30 pm)
- May 29 – Council Office closed, Memorial Day
- June 2 – Monthly Legislative Update Call (2:00 pm)
- June 8 – Healthcare Workgroup Meeting (3:30 PM)
- June 9 – Political Action Committee Meeting (10:00 am)
- June 9 – Monthly Leadership Call (1:00 pm)
- June 19 – Council Office closed, Juneteenth
- June 20 – Select Committee on Pension Policy Meeting (10:00 am)
- June 20 – Senior Lobby (10:00 am)
- June 22 – Healthcare Workgroup Meeting (3:30 pm)
- June 23 – Pension Policy Workgroup Meeting (10:00 am)
Health Care Authority Listening Sessions & Public Forums
- May 24 – HCA Virtual Public Forum (10:00 am)
- May 25 – HCA Virtual Listening Session (10:00 am)
- May 30 – HCA Virtual Listening Session (10:00 am)
- May 31 – HCA Virtual Listening Session (10:00 am)