RPEC Weekly Newsflash, March 24, 2023
Register today to attend the All-member Strategic Planning Listening Session
As part of the strategic planning process, AFSCME Retiree Council will be facilitating a virtual listening session for all members-at-large and RPEC leaders on Friday, April 14, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. This virtual listening session is another way you can provide input to the Executive Board to help inform the development of RPEC’s strategic plan.
If you are new to RPEC or a Plan 2/3 member, we especially want to hear from you. Register through this link: https://rpecwa.org/strategic-planning-listening-session-registration/
Meeting link information will be sent to all registered attendees prior to the listening session.
Senate Budget Proposal Favors RPEC Priorities
Thursday, March 23, was a big day for RPEC in the Washington Legislature. The Senate unveiled its budget proposal, Proposed Substitute Senate Bill 5187, for the biennial operating budget (July 1, 2023 through June 30, 2025) and the 2023 supplemental operating budget.
The proposal funds a 3% one-time cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) for PERS 1, TRS1, and PSERS 1 retirees invested in Plan 1. The funding is earmarked to implement SB 5350, which includes language that RPEC worked tirelessly to insert and ensure was retained throughout the legislative session. SB 5350 requires the Select Committee on Pension Policy to study and recommend a funding pathway for a recurring annual COLA. The bill also provides a one-time 3% COLA (capped at $110 per month). If this proposal is embraced by the House and adopted, Plan 1 retirees will receive the one-time COLA on July 1st.
Register today for Health Care Authority’s Virtual and In-person Listening Sessions and Public Forums
Time is running out to register and take part in the virtual listening sessions, virtual public forums and the in-person listening sessions hosted by the Health Care Authority (HCA) to hear from public sector retirees who receive their healthcare benefits from the Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB). Register at: https://www.hca.wa.gov/about-hca/news/announcements/register-pebb-medicare-listening-sessions. Registration is required and space is limited. Sign up today!
2023 Leadership Training for Chapter Leaders Set for June
With most chapter elections underway, it is time for new leaders, current leaders and those who may be considering taking a leadership position in the future, to come together and participate in our annual Leadership Training. We will be providing the tools, information, and resources for you to be a successful and supported chapter leader.
The training will be held in two parts: Part A on Monday, June 26 for all chapter leaders, and Part B on Friday, June 30 for chapter leaders involved with finances. Part A will be hosted and led by the Council Office. Part B will be hosted and led by the Auditing Department at AFSCME.
For more information and to register, please visit: https://rpecwa.org/2023-leadership-training/
All-member written survey – Please complete the survey and mail it back!
By mid-April, all RPEC members will receive a written survey (with a postage-paid return envelope) via U.S. mail. The survey is one element of a multi-faceted data collection process that the Executive Board has launched to lay the foundation for the development of a new strategic plan for RPEC. Gleaning your insights and understanding the priorities and needs of our members is the first step in the strategic planning process. Please take the time to complete the survey when it arrives at your home and mail it back right away so that your input can be used to help shape the Board’s priorities.
Please refer to our calendar page for more information about each event, including links to Zoom meetings, if available.
- March 31 – Legislative Update Call (2:00 pm)
- April 7 – Legislative Update Call (2:00 pm)
- April 13 – Healthcare Workgroup (3:30 pm)
- April 14 – Strategic Planning Listening Session (10:00 am)
- April 14 – Legislative Update Call (2:00 pm)
- April 17 – Senior Lobby (10:00 am)
- April 21 – Legislative Update Call (2:00 pm)
- April 24 – Sine Die (End of Legislative Session)
- April 25 – Membership Committee Meeting (10:00 am)
- April 27 – Healthcare Workgroup (3:30 pm)
Health Care Authority Listening Sessions & Public Forums
- March 28 – HCA Virtual Listening Session (10:00 am)
- March 29 – HCA In-person Listening Session, Tumwater (10:00 am)
- March 30 – HCA Virtual Listening Session (10:00 am)
- April 6 – HCA Virtual Listening Session (10:00 am)
- April 11 – HCA In-person Listening Session, Cheney (10:00 am)
- April 12 – HCA In-person Listening Session, Yakima (10:00 am)
- April 18 – HCA Virtual Listening Session (10:00 am)
- April 20 – HCA Virtual Listening Session (10:00 am)
- April 25 – HCA Virtual Listening Session (10:00 am)
- April 26 – HCA Virtual Public Forum (10:00 am)
- April 27 – HCA Virtual Listening Session (10:00 am)